Uniform and Appearance
Children are expected to wear school uniform every day
Please name all items of clothing as the school cannot take responsibility for any lost property. As we play out in rain or shine children should also have warm clothes and sturdy footwear for the outdoors.
Our uniform and appearance offers some choice while providing practical clothes for a busy day. Children can experience too much pressure over their physical appearance. We are interested in children's ‘inner beauty,’ their good character and qualities. We want Kingsmead pupils to be attending to their learning, investigating their world, getting along with each other and playing—not comparing clothes or other paraphernalia. We hope they will be proud to wear second-hand uniform too, caring for the environment as well as family budgets. You can recycle and reuse at our local Barnardo's and at uniform Swishing events. Many items of uniform, including all those with school logos, can be ordered direct from our supplier, Stitch Design. Families can avoid delivery costs by ordering well in advance and have their order delivered free to school.
- Beige sweatshirt or cardigan
- Polo shirt (red, yellow, blue, green, purple or white)
- Black or grey trousers, shorts, pinafore or skirt
- Flat, plain supportive shoes (no backless, flimsy or party shoes, no trainers, ballet style pumps or high heels)
AND FOR PE:
A drawstring PE bag containing: plain white or school T shirt, black or white shorts , pumps/trainers for outdoor PE. Please note we do not allow branded kit or items with large logos.
Children can choose:
- Black fleece
- Summer school dress in any colour
- Sun hat
- Joggers/sweatshirt for outdoor PE - not branded please
- Black 'musician' polo shirt for any children in year 5 and 6 who play in the Wind Band or recorder and String Orchestra - this may be worn on Fridays (black Friday!) and for concerts
Please note and respect:
- No gelled or dyed hair, shaved heads, Mohawk hairstyle or shaved patterns.
- Long hair must be tied back with plain bands or slides (no over-sized or sparkly hair decorations e.g. Jo-Jo bows, cat's ears).
- Shoes should be flat, plain and supportive.
- No ballet-style pumps or flimsy party shoes, no trainers (other than for outdoor PE), no backless shoes.
- Please do not send children to school in overly pattered shoes or ones with with flashing lights, toys or wheelie heels.
- Jewellery of any kind (including earrings) is not permitted. If piercing our child's ears, please do so at the start of the Summer holiday so they can be removed in time for the start of school in September. Some religious beliefs require the wearing of a simple piece of jewellery which may not be removed; this is respected.
- Watches and fit-bits may be worn unless they become distracting in class.
- We take no responsibility for loss or damage to any personal property brought in from home.