Kingsmead Friends' Association
'Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.'
The KFA stands for Kingsmead Friends' Association and everyone who has a child at the school, is a member of staff or helps in the school community is a member of the KFA. The KFA have been an active parent, carer, staff and friends group for over eleven years. They work to rasie much needed additional funding for school and many of the high-cost items around school were made possible through their generous donations. A core group plans events and they are always keen to welcome new people with a few hours or some skills they can offer the school.
As our PTA is a Registered Charity, we are able to raise money through Easy Fundraising, sign up with them today to help raise money every time you shop online (with no extra cost for you) just follow this link.
Here are just some of the things the KFA have funded in school:
- Artist in residence Jane Dixon working with the whole school for our tenth annivesary art work 'People Like Us' which you can see in the entrance hall
- Reception bikes
- Recorders, recorder books and bag are given every year to children in year 3
- Books for the library
- Computer equipment
- Trim trails and playtime equipment
- Contributions to the all weather sports pitch
- The kitchen garden
- Science week
- School visits and trips - the KFA have funded whole trips as well as coaches to reduce costs to families
- Young Shakespeare Company - subsidising an annual visit to school from the London touring theatre group
What We Do
Raise money through fun events:
- The Summer Fair
- The Christmas Fair
- Fashion Show Evenings
- Children’s Discos
Once money is raised from events the funds are banked straight away. It is at our KFA Committee Meetings, that the decisions on how to spend the money are agreed.
Usually, Ms Stewart our Head Teacher will have a 'shopping list' of items that the school would like to purchase. Sometimes this will be as a result of the children asking for something, as in the new playground equipment. At other times it will be for resources to improve a particular area of the curriculum or school environment. In the main the KFA funds are for the 'extras' not provided by the school budget, that make our children's learning experiences so much more fulfilling and exciting.
We are fortunate however to have other opportunities open to us to raise money. Donations are extremely important. These can be time, money, items for sale, donations for raffles or offers of services and skills.
There are lots of ways you can help and support your child through the KFA.
- Offering to help before events or at other times during the year is so valuable - it really is a case of 'many hands make light work'. It doesn't matter if you can't help on a regular basis, or even if you can't come into school. There are always little jobs that can be done from home if you have half an hour to spare e.g. wrapping gifts, preparing raffle tickets etc. We really couldn't achieve what we do without the unseen 'army of help' that exists in school.
- You can of course volunteer to be a committee member or you can simply come along to the KFA meetings and give us your ideas for fundraising events - this is also the time to ask questions or voice your opinion.
- You can help by letting us know if you have any contacts or skills we could use - everything is potentially valuable to us.
- Whenever you are shopping online, please do so via Easy Fundraising. Easy Fundraising provides a FREE fundraising service where you can raise funds for Kingsmead KFA when you shop online. Choose from over 2000 of the UK's best-known retailers including many popular names such as Amazon, Next, Argos, John Lewis and HMV, and when you shop using the links on the site up to 15% from every purchase you make is donated to the KFA.
- And finally, we are always extremely grateful to receive the donations of bottles, tombola gifts, raffle prizes etc.
If you have any questions or would like to come along to the next KFA meeting leave us a message in the school office, email firstname.lastname@example.org or find one of us in the school playground. We look forward to hearing from you.